Friday, January 21, 2011

Stranded

My husband travels frequently for work and this week I decided to travel with him. For those who know me, you know that I despise flying and that I'm REALLY not happy with all this security theater stuff the TSA is doing! But that's a rant for another day.
Our Monday morning started well especially since we had an upgrade to first class on the second part of our trip. Once we arrived in CT we were able to quickly get our car and head for the hotel. Once there I got a nap in while my husband went to the office to get in a few hours of work.
Later that evening we met up with my in-laws at T.G.I.Fridays. We had a pleasant dinner and we all went back to the hotel for a few fun games of Taboo. Finally we said our goodbyes as they headed back home to NY.
So far it looked to be a promising week in CT. The next day I hung around the hotel while my husband was at work. I read most of my new book and caught up on some shows I had been missing at home since we cut the cable. I brought my Curves pass since there was one just across the street a ways, but my husband advised against walking due to the extreme amount of snow and ice. By the time he got in that afternoon and we made a needed run to the store it was too late to hit the gym so I had lots of hope that I could go the next day. That evening we had dinner at the hotel and spent the night watching movies.
The next morning is when things began to turn. I had some trouble sleeping the night before but didn't really think anything of it. I woke up early to have breakfast at the hotel before he left for the office. The smell of the food was making me feel a little uneasy but I thought it could be due to the fact that it was very early and there were a lot of people there. I had some oatmeal and strawberries and that was a very bad idea.
I started to feel really nauseous and my head was starting to throb! I laid back in bed and just a few min. after my husband left started to get really ill. I was actively ill for about 25 min. before I could call him and let him know what was going on.
He was able to get away at lunch to come check on me. He gave me some more tylenol and brought me some pepto. It was nice just to have him there for a few minutes to rub my head and hold me. I hated to see him go back to work but I knew he would be back in a few hours and that I could rest more while he was away.
That evening we laid around for a while and then decided that we would try to go out (whether I could eat or not, he still needed to and when traveling going out is really the only option) hoping that the fresh air would help.
I was feeling some better when we arrived and able to eat, though the experience was not amazing...see previous post.
Finally today arrived....I was so ready to go home. Everything again was going well. Arrived at the airport on time, had some lunch, and were ready to board our flight.
First the flight was delayed by over an hour. That in on its own was not a huge deal, we still had plenty of time to make our connection in Detroit. Then later the gate agents announced that the flight was completely full so they needed volunteers to have their carry on bags checked to their final destination to save time in the loading process and to make room for the passengers who truly needed their bags with them. We had already checked one of our bags because of liquids and thinking that we were going to make it home we thought that we would be one of the nice volunteers.
So we handed over our bag with all our clothes and hygiene items in it. All we had with us now was his work laptop and my purse and a few books. No biggie I thought.
That was until we landed in Detroit, checked the status of our connecting flight and saw that it was canceled. Panic set in!
Not only were all my possessions stuck out of my reach but now I'm stranded overnight far from home. The airline was very friendly and already had us re-booked on the earliest flight back home the next morning, gave us a voucher for a hotel and a dinner voucher. The really did what they could but the biggest issue is that I am scheduled to have Lasik tomorrow, at 1 p.m. at home. The flight (which was canceled due to snow and ice) is not due in until almost 11 a.m. If there are any more delays tomorrow it will have to be rescheduled.
Oy, what next? I just want to go home!

No comments: