Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mongolian????

     So my husband has been wanting to take me out for Mongolian for a while but I have been reluctant. I'm not really a fan of stir-fry...who am I kidding, I'm not a fan of A LOT of stuff. While I am willing to go out to new places I am very predictable in what I order....usually some kind of ordinary salad, pasta, burger or chicken.
     When we arrived there was a 15ish minute wait so I had some time to observe how this whole operation worked. After you are seated the waiter brings you a bowl. You then take your empty bowl to what looks like a regular buffet bar, except the first bar is full of raw meat!!!! Now my husband thinks this is just awesome, he calls himself a "meatatarian", me not so much..meat is ok, but to see large amounts of it kind of makes me ill.
     After you fill your bowl with the type and amount of meat you want you then move over to the veggie bar. At this point you pile as many different types as you want onto of the raw meat. This part was kind fun. I like veggies and there were a lot to choose from.
    The third part of this process was picking from a very wide selection of sauces and seasonings. Again, I'm not a real adventurous person but I decided to at least try it. After my bowl was finally put together I did have to admit that I could see how it would taste good (after it was cooked) and I could also see why people say that if you eat at a Mongolian restaurant it's your own fault if it's not what you want. In my bowl I had duck, corn, snap peas, soy beans, and a few other veggies and for sauce I choose a cranberry mixed with orange peel.
     Finally it was time to take my raw ingredients over to the grill. The guys grilling the food seemed to be having a lot of fun. They took my bowl of raw ingredients and poured then onto the grill and did some fancy work. There was meat chopping and veggie flipping and egg cracking going on everywhere. Oh, and did I mention there was a gong? Yes, a gong! Every time someone took a fancy they would hit this large gong and the men cooking would all stop and hoot and holler. It was kind of an amusing site.
     It didn't take long before my food was ready and being handed to me on a new fresh plate. When we got back to the table the waiter brought us rice and tortillas. The dinner and experience was way better than I could have ever imagined and I'm looking forward to eating there again.

1 comment:

Warren said...

Glad to know you liked that suggestion... even if it DID take several months to convince you to try it =D