Saturday, April 30, 2011

Wilton Cake

So for the past 4 Saturdays I have attended the Wilton Basic Cake Decorating course at the local Michael's store. I learned all kind of neat things and had a ton of fun. We learned how to do basic things like bake a perfect cake, leveling the cake, making homemade butter cream icing, smoothing the icing to look like fondant, how to make several flowers including a ribbon rose, and several other cool tips.
The first cake I made in the class looked really bad, it's the one with the cupcake on it. I had a really hard time getting the icing to do what I wanted.
Tonight was my last night and I prepared a final cake..it's the one with the flowers.I have to admit that while it has several flaws, I think I did pretty well for a beginner, and it's a big improvement over the first cake :)



My next class starts on Tuesday, this time I am taking Gum Paste and Fondant :p

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Nice job! I think the cupcake cake is cuuute, though, too! My Kom took the Wilton classes a few years ago and did several shower cakes and a couple of wedding cakes for people. It was fun helping a little with them. :)