Saturday, January 7, 2012

Christmas 2011

For Christmas this year I was able to spend a whole week with my parents. We arrived at their house on the 22nd and didn't come home until the 29th. It was great to get away and spend the time with family.

As always, we had dinner with Dad's family on Christmas Eve (Saturday) and this year I fixed broccoli casserole and the cake.  

When we got home everyone, more specifically Bella, was so excited about gifts that we decided to go ahead and open our presents.

One of the gifts that Bella asked for was a Pink bag from Victoria Secret. I really struggled with getting her this gift due to my personal disgust with the store in general, but decided that it was not the worst thing in the world. So anyway, we decided to have some fun with the gift. I took the bag from the store, which is pink and says Victoria secret, that her bag came in and wrapped it up. I taped a note to the box telling her what the gift was and that she should be careful in what she asked for that she may just get it ;) then I wrapped the box with packing tape.

It was so much fun to watch her try to open the gift and then squeal with excitement when she read the note. It was even better when she actually saw the bag.  I know, it was mean - but it was so much fun! We did allow her to open her real bag right after and she was really excited then.

Warren and I tried to give her a good Christmas. We were able to budget and get her most of the items off her wish list. At first I didn't really want to go overboard because Warren and I feel that gifts are completely overrated and would rather not exchange gifts at all in exchange for quality time with family, but my memories of when I was a teen and then thinking of her past won over. We do, however, plan to do things differently with our own family.

So anyway, Bella had a ton of gifts to open and we all, my parents included, enjoyed watching her enjoy the gifts.

For Christmas I received a book and new journal from Warren. Mom and Dad got me a new scarf and a metal detector for both Warren and I.

On Christmas we had a leisurely morning as Mom and I were cooking for dinner with her family. We went over to my Nanny's for lunch and enjoyed spending time with more family.

By late afternoon all the family and holiday festivities were starting to take a toll on Bella. The holidays are hard for her just as they are for any foster child who is spending them away from their families. So, my Dad, Warren, Bella, and I went home where the four of us played games and spent time together. Mom came home later as she wanted to spend more time with her family and a brother who does not live close.

I would have to say that the best part of my Christmas came on the following Monday. My parents agreed to keep Bella overnight for us and Warren and I took a quick trip to Gatlinburg. I know that we have only had her for 3.5 months, but it was so weird to go somewhere without her. However, we had a GREAT time with just the two of us again. We did random crazy touristy stuff while we were there and enjoyed a quiet dinner. The trip was the best gift I received this Christmas.

Phew, that was a lot! I really need to get better at blogging as things happen so I don't have to fit so much into one post. New Year's blog will be shorter :)

No comments: